Instead I find myself questioning the all-too familiar soliloquy of "When I grow up I want to be"?
When we were kids, we were forced to come up with lucrative ambitions such as doctor, lawyer, accountant and the like.
Have we ever asked, what for? I was about 8 or 9 when I told my parents that I aspired to be a Biologist. I had not even learned division at that time.
At one point I was known as the most talkative student in class, so my mom thought I would be a good lawyer some day. My brother, who was chubby before hitting puberty, was automatically the future towkah gudang beras.
Oh yeah, it was all fun and games "deciding" what your children would be in the future until you realize their true calling. Some kids would actually grow up to be doctors and lawyers while some would just settle for ordinary jobs to make ends meet. The rest are hipsters.
I would say that what I'm doing right now is a cross between "hipsters" and "white-collar". I am in a love-hate relationship with what I do, as anyone is, I'm sure.
Besides the terribly mundane routine consisting of public transports, traffic jams and 12-hour shifts, I'm okay with where I stand today.
Truth is, I never believed in my "cita-cita" or made any efforts to achieve it. It was just something I had to fill in classmates' biodata books. Come on, we've all been there.
If my future children ever tell me that they want to be a doctor/lawyer/accountant/engineer I will bitch-slap them for lying, haha. Okay obviously I won't do that. Instead I will tell them to be truthful to themselves. You want to be a gold miner? Be my guest. You want to be a lap sap lou? Sure.
And you know what? My ambitions will forever be just ambitions and it doesn't matter. Because I was a lawyer for the brief moment when I decided to be one. I was a doctor for the span of 30 episodes of a TVB drama. And I was a Biologist when I was 8.
So, "Why do you want to be..."
To save lives? To uphold justice?
I don't know. I just happened to be here.

0 comments:
Post a Comment