December 4, 2013

Behind the byline

To be a voice of social change that rearranges the world's perspective.

If you folks recall, that was the ambitious answer I provided when the question, "Why did you decide to take up journalism?" was posed during a tutorial class.

Granted, it wasn't the most original thing I had ever said. It's actually a line from a Rachael Yamagata song heh (I can just imagine the mindfuck moment in Song's head when she read this revelation).

But that's besides the point, you see.

I've always held a romanticised notion of journalism, an ideal that I foolishly subscribed to throughout our three years at the Kampar campus of Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman.

Now that I'm a full-fledged journalist at the nation's ahem, leading English-language daily (sorry lah, masuk bakul a bit, can?), you'd probably be wondering: What's changed?

Well, not much really.

I might not be reporting on hard-hitting issues like what our dear friends Shelyn, Lee Xien and Isaac are doing. But if anything, being in the features section is no excuse to take the job lightly.

On several occasions, I've been rudely awakened to the reality of the profession. Most notably, the 3-line Alicia Keys' "concert review". But let's save that story for another day.

What I'm trying to say is; as a journalist, you're working under the scrutiny of the public eye - a fact which is easily disregarded when you're writing your stories on a tight deadline from the confines of the newsroom. All the while hoping the copy clearers won't screw you over for your writing style.

It goes without saying that each job brings with it its own set of hurdles and satisfactions. (So uhm, like please write about your working experience already lah!)

An editor once said to me, "Journalism is a job that rewards the soul."

It all sounds terribly Hallmark-y, but it couldn't have been further from the truth.  I constantly learn new things about myself on the job and there's never a dull day at the office thanks to really awesome colleagues and bosses.

But then again, I've only been working for 5 months now. It's true what they say about journalists being a cynical bunch.

XX
Chester

0 comments:

Post a Comment